Escatel Hotel Restaurant Macon

GROTTES d'AZE - Prehistoric Caves, Southern Burgundy

Human beings have occupied these caves from the Middle Stone Age until the Middle Ages. They left many tools and everyday objects. But cave bears and lions were other less welcome guests...

The tour shows exceptional remains of bears including several complete skeletons, the complete skull from one of the ten known cave lions in France.

The wealth of the collections in the caves or in the archaeological museum and the unusual geology of the site place the Grottes d'Azé among the greatest prehistoric caves.

Enjoy your trip to the centre of the earth...

More Info






Cluny Abbey

Cluny or Clungy is a commune in the Saône-et-Loire department in the region of Bourgogne in eastern France. It is 20 km northwest of Mâcon.

The town grew up around the Benedictine Cluny Abbey, founded by Duke William I of Aquitaine in 910. The height of Cluniac influence was from the second half of the 10th century through the early 12th.

The abbey was sacked by the Huguenots in 1562 and many of the valuable manuscripts were destroyed or removed.

More Info










ChAteau de Cormatin

Behind the understated exterior lies inestimable splendour. This is undoubtedly one of the most sumptuous châteaux in Burgundy, and in addition, a Renaissance garden has been added to complete the picture.

The sculptured yews break up the symmetry as you enter this moated château. Inside, the rich and colourful interior reflects the fashion in France, and particularly Paris, during the reign of Louis XIII, a time of transition, in search of a style.

Built between 1605 and 1629 by the du Blé family it chronicles the history of the arts at this time in France.

More Info












Solutré-Pouilly

The strange, precipitous rock called Solutré is so far south in Burgundy that it's almost in Beaujolais.

About 10 minutes south-west of Mâcon in Saône-et-Loire, the closest village is Solutrá-Pouilly right in the heart of the Pouilly-Fuissé wine-producing area.

The rock rises to 495m and presents a sheer cliff face at its summit.

More Info







Castle of Saint-Point

Saint-Point feudal castle is bought in 1801 by the father's poet Alphonse de Lamartine. This one settles there in 1820 after his marriage with the English Mary Ann Birch.

Restored and increased the castle will remain its family property until his death in 1869.

More Info